Saturday, October 24, 2009

Looking For Gourmet, I Am Not Your Girl!

As some of you might have noticed, I am not a gourmet cook. I never will be. I have issues with art work on a plate. If you are sitting down to eat something, then there should be something on the plate to eat! No seriously, I have never been a gourmet kind of person. I think that it mostly comes from growing up with a single parent in Florida. I mean my mom was not gourmet, or maybe she was and I did not know it at the time.

I find that I tend to gravitate to food that is real, simple, good, and that tastes great! I am not knocking French food at all , I have never had real gourmet food. Mainly because I am allergic to onions. Everything in French cooking has onions. So, I either leave them out of the recipe that I am making or just stay away from that food.

I am sure that there are some things in French cooking I could have if I was willing to try. I think that right now, I am not really willing to try just yet. I am enjoying my foray into country cooking and Italian cooking. Both which I can relate to on an emotional level. I have never been a food snob or what they call a 'foodie'. I love diner food. I love bar food.

I am just not into the high concept food. I mean it looks wonderful on the plate, but in some cases, there is not enough! If I am hungry, I want to eat! I don't want to eat something then have to go home and make something else to eat.

I think that this is one of the reasons why I am not culinary school material. Maybe I am a food snob, but only in my own snobbery. I think that if I am going to cook for people then they should be so full that the mere thought of food will make them sick! Okay, maybe not that full, cause I have been there a few times and I know how uncomfortable that is.

I think that the worst thing in the world is to make dinner for someone or some people and to have even just one person go home hungry is a tragedy. I mean really. If I went to a place where I ate my whole dinner and was still hungry afterwards, I would never ever set foot in that place again. Seriously. Why spend money to go home hungry and end up eating at home?

This is just me though... I am one person. Tell me what kinds of food you like...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on the menu today?