Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce..

I always make my own pasta sauce now. There are a few reasons for doing so, but the biggest one for me is that I am allergic to onion. So, if I make my own I know that there is not any onion in there. It is relatively simple and does not take all day. I will tell you how I make mine if you want to try it, great! You can basically add anything that you want to it.... If you shop at Walmart, it is pretty cheap to make too..

Ingredients:

1 ( 28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 TBS minced garlic
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Italian seasoning
Olive oil

Directions:

Add olive oil to pan. ( I usually do not measure anything, so I use 2 turns around the pan with the bottle). Add garlic and saute for a minute or so. Add tomatoes. Add seasonings to taste. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add more seasonings if needed.

Now you actually have to taste this while it is cooking.... Ideally, you should taste everything that you make so that you know the seasonings are right.... If you want to add onion, be sure to saute it with the garlic...

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a shame that you're allergic to onion. I used to have a hard time with onions, but I grew out of it and I can handle them now. I'm glad, because I love them!

    We usually start with a bit of canned or jarred sauce but "doctor" it up with lots of garlic and basil and other spices.

    One trick Ken and I learned in New Orleans when we took a cooking class was to mix all the dried spices together before adding them to whatever we're making. All the flavors blend better and are incorporated into the food easier!

    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed off a few of your recipes this morning and am going grocery shopping in a little bit. We will be having one of them for dinner tonight, I just don't know which one! I will let you know. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. spaghetti is my favorite. yummo

    ReplyDelete

What is on the menu today?