Sunday, March 14, 2010

How Do You Recipe?

Recipes for me sometimes are a necessity because face it, there are times when I am less than creative. I just don’t have it in me to ‘create’ dinner some days. So, what I am asking here is how do you come by your recipes? For me, I kind of get them from everywhere.

I am on Food Network of course. I get several magazines as well. I am on Epicurious as well. My recipe box is a index card box, which is blue. It actually is all nasty because I have had it for a while and there are long periods of time where I do not use it.

If I see a recipe in a magazine that I have, usually I have a box full of old cooking magazines, so I will throw it in there, but if the magazine is not mine, I am not above ripping a page out sometimes. Yeah I am that woman. LOL. But I usually just toss it in the old recipe box to be looked at later. In my recipe box I have several recipes that I did get from Food Network, I printed the cards out and cut them out and stapled them together…. Little Suzy home maker am I.

I recently went through this box and looked to see what was actually in there. I had a couple duplicate recipes. I do that on purpose actually, when America’s Test Kitchen was still a semi free site, I printed a few recipes from them. But I printed more than one of each because face it, spills happen. Now that Cook’s Country and America’s Test Kitchen are the same, that website is pay only. I just bought the America’s Test Kitchen cook book with every single recipe that they have ever shown for less than an annual subscription to the website. I also got all of this years shows on DVD when it comes out for free because I bought the book.

I have tried some recipes from other sites and not had good results, so my advice is to stick to the sites you know and use a lot. I also am on the Kraft website as well. I have to admit that I am disappointed that they changed their policy regarding the magazine, it was free and great! Now it is like $14 for 4 issues. A bit much don’t you think? But you can get a look at the archived ones for free on the website. So, tell me how do you recipe?

3 comments:

  1. umm I am just a guy,, never did learn to read them recipes,, I just kind of throw whatever sounds as if it will work together and hope it tastes good,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are invited to followc my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first love is Jesus…then my wife of 45 years…then cooking. I really enjoyed looking over you blog. I am now a follower of yours. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

What is on the menu today?